First NameHusnain
Last NameRiaz
First Name 2Wasimullah
Last Name 2Sajid
Emailhusnain31313@gmail.com
Supervisor NameDr. Muhammad Arshid Malik
UniversityInternational Islamic University Islamabad
CountryPakistan
Publication Date16 September, 2017
DegreeBachelors
DomainBiology

Identification of microbes in drinking water of Islamabad

Abstract: Water is the main constituent of life. Without water, no organisms can survive. However, water is being polluted continuously through anthropogenic activities. Due to this, different pathogens and microorganisms increase the risk of different serious diseases. The main purpose of this study was to check the drinking water of Islamabad that whether it is safe for drinking or not. Samples were collected from 18 different water filtration plants and tube wells across the city and transferred to Pakistan Council of Research in Water Resources for lab analyses. Microbial contamination was in term of Total Coliforms (< 1.8 MPN/100 ml), and E-coli (< 1.8 MPN/100 ml). Those samples were considered as microbial contaminated which had MPN value more than 1.8 per 100 ml and those had MPN value less than 1.8 were considered as safe from microbial contamination. Result showed that 11 (61%) out of 18 samples were microbial contaminated and had total coliforms and 7 (39%) samples out of 18 had total coliforms less than normal limit. Same is the case with fecal coliforms. 11 (61%) out of 18 samples had fecal coliforms present in it and remaining 7 (39%) samples out of 18 samples had no fecal coliforms. Furthermore, 2 (11%) samples had Escherichia coli positive and 16 (89%) samples had no Escherichia coli in it. Overall, more than 50% of the samples were not safe for consumption. It is highly recommended that water filtration plants and tube wells should be checked and maintained the quality to get rid of these contamination.

Download Thesis